discussion forum 4

Home Forums Module 3 Forum discussion forum 4

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Oda Msuha
      Participant

Moral model. this model people view disability as a curse, bewitched and some believe that the disability is inherited from one another to the point of spouse to leave his wife if they have child with disability example cerebral palsy

medical model; in this model disability result from body pathology due to body system impairment or injury.

social model; The Government creates laws and policies that insuring accessibility of services to all people with disability though in my country implementation of those laws are inconsistent.

when I see a person with disability I think he/she has potential and can achieve his goals through improving functioning. I was raised in the model where disability is perceived as curse or bewitched thus even the patient is treated in hospital but still will go to search for herbalist or traditional healer.
      I choose social model.

[email protected]
      Participant

Moral model; This is based on how someone was brought up. it entails, origin, background, religion and tribe.

medical model; this form of disability is brought up by taking wrong medication, injections ad vaccines.

social model; this model looks up for the right of those living with disability through acts, laws ad policies enacted. How ever, laws may exist but not being implemented

When I see a person Living with Disability, the first thought I get is helping the person in any way I can. I was raised with all the three models.
      I choose the medical and Social model, because with this aspects of attitude and stigma is reduced due to awareness created, thus a better place for everyone is created.

1) In Cambodia, in all aspects of society the moral model dominates other two. Medical model are perceived and used by medical professionals and formal sector including regulator responsible for disability. However, civil society orgnisaitons and professional working for disability are using the social model. In short, this latest model is predominantly among advocators and developmental partners.

2) When I see a person with impairment, I would not call or count them a person with a disability. I am working in disability sector for more than two decades thus I do not jump to a conclusion that everyone with a disability is a person with disability. I am promoting the social model for disability because this one will help a person be as independent as possible in all aspects including health, rehabilitation,… socioeconomics and politics. Even my physiotherapy service also for the ultimate goal of social model for a person/client.

[email protected]
      Participant

In my experience in the United States, I see a blend of the medical and social models of disability. I see the medical model mostly in acute onset of disability, particularly one with high rehabilitation potential. For example, a child who has an arterio-venous malformation in the brain, presenting as a stroke patient, is very much treated through a medical lens. Children have high levels of neural plasticity and often make robust improvement. The underlying “problem list” impacting the patient’s status would be specifically addressed, and rehab goals formed to meet each “deficit.” A good rehab program would recognize the child as an individual with unique home environment – do they live in a one story building? An elevator building? A 3 story walk up building? Do they have siblings? Parents at home who can help? Etc… But the underlying rehab plan is based on the medical model. I tend to see more social models in application of long term rehab needs, chronic or even degenerative conditions. Examples that come to mind are fully cognitively intact, employed adults with professional and family responsibilities who also have rehab needs such as adults with lasting side effects from polio, or spinal cord injuries, or long term diseases such as multiple sclerosis. These individuals may have maximized the rehab potential that can be derived through the medical model and must have social model applications to minimize barriers to society and allow them to exercise their best potential.
      It’s a difficult question to ask what I think of when I see someone with a disability. I’d like to believe my impression and thoughts are purely altruistic, but I have taken classes addressing bias in health care and am aware that I need to check my biases and privileges as an able bodied person before engaging in any judgemental thoughts. That said, working in NYC, when I see someone with disabilities I usually scan the environment to be sure it is safe. There are a lot of uneven surfaces to manage, potholes in the street, curbs of varying heights. Sometimes the elevator in the subway can be broken. I try my best to be aware of the environment. I think I was raised in a combination of the medical and social models. I come from a very large extended family, and as such have loved ones with varying degrees of ability – disability. I was raised with the attitude of “there but for the Grace of God, go I”, suggesting it’s somewhat the luck of the draw who has what body and capability, to maintain humility, empathy and try to even the playing field for all.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.