Discussion forum

Home Forums Module 3 Forum Discussion forum

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      [email protected]
      Participant

In Uganda, the different models of disability can be seen in various contexts and how society addresses and interacts with people with disabilities. Here are some examples:
      Moral Model
      The Moral Model of disability, which views disability as a result of a moral failing or a curse, is still present in some rural areas of Uganda. In these communities, disabilities can sometimes be seen as a punishment from a higher power or the result of witchcraft. This belief can lead to stigma and social exclusion for people with disabilities and their families
      Medical Model
      The Medical Model, which views disability as a problem to be fixed or cured, is evident in many healthcare settings. Hospitals and clinics often focus on diagnosing and treating the medical conditions associated with disabilities. This approach can be seen in the efforts to provide medical interventions such as surgeries, medications, and physical therapy to improve the functional abilities of people with disabilities.
      Social Model
      The Social Model, which views disability as a result of the interaction between a person with a disability and an environment that does not accommodate their needs, is gaining traction in Uganda, particularly among disability advocacy groups. Organizations like the National Union of Disabled Persons of Uganda (NUDIPU) and various NGOs are working to promote accessibility, inclusive education, and equal employment opportunities. These efforts focus on removing societal barriers and advocating for policy changes to ensure that people with disabilities can fully participate in all aspects of life.
      Personal Reflection
      When I see someone with a disability, I am influenced by the model of disability I was raised with and have learned about over time. Personally, I believe in the Social Model of disability, which emphasizes the importance of societal inclusion and the removal of barriers. This perspective encourages viewing people with disabilities as individuals who can contribute to society and whose limitations are often imposed by an inaccessible environment rather than their impairments.
      Growing up, I was exposed to a mix of the Medical Model and Social Model. The Medical Model was more prominent in healthcare settings, where the focus was on diagnosis and treatment. However, with increasing awareness and advocacy efforts, the Social Model has become more recognized, especially in educational and professional settings, promoting inclusivity and accessibility.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.