Models of Disability

Home Forums Module 3 Forum Models of Disability

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      [email protected]
      Participant

Moral model: tribal beliefs e.g. some beliefs that disability is a curse and they hide their family members with disability. Some beliefs that a child born with bowed legs or clubfoot for example think that it is a sign of owning more cattle consequently they dislike efforts to correct the feet
      Medical Model: medical labels (hemiplegia, Paraplegia) dictate proper treatment; however may deny someone’s employment opportunity

Social model: helps to improve accessibility e.g. building of ramps, encourage participation e.g education and employment opportunities

When I see a person with disability I think of ways to get the person involved in social economical activities. I am raised with social model

I think that all models can not be completely separated as they all have some advantages in the society, however the human development model is exploring deeper into causes and risk factors, this focuses on possible prevention and reducing the burden,

[email protected]
      Participant

Moral model is well explained like when in most African culture when a woman gives birth to a disabled child most cultures passive it as curse from the gods .

Medical Model an example is disability due to road traffic accidents leading to amputation
      social model is more of policy issue the ministry of Gender and social development advice all public toilets to have a room modified for people with disability to enable them have better access.

growing up in a developing country we grew up thinking disability was a curse but after receiving enough training in human development and disability management i realize disability should be analysed from the social model to enable us create a better environment for people living with disability.

[email protected]
      Participant

Moral Model: In Ethiopia, people with disabilities or their families perceive them as sins and transgressions.
      Medical Model: As a result of the brutal conflict that has raged in Ethiopia over the past four years, tens of thousands of people suffer from physical and mental disabilities.
      Social Model: there is a national legislation states that public services must be accessible to people with disabilities.

[email protected]
      Participant

Moral model of disability- in some parts of Kenya view persons with disability as having sinned against God and so their disability is punishment from God. Some communities actually hide their children with disabilities in isolation in a dark room; Some are even chained so that they do not try to leave the dark rooms.
      Medical model of disability – describes a person with disability as one who has something wrong that the doctors must fix. They view disability as a pathology to be treated.
      Social model of disability -views the society as a barrier to disability. There is something wrong with the society that needs to change to accommodate persons with disability; such as, provide a sign language interpreter for the ‘DEAF’, construct ramps for the buildings and fix rails in a suitable universal toilet for the persons with disabilities among others.
      I was raised up to pity the persons with disability, thinking that the family had done something wrong and this was a punishment from God. However now I have a different opinion, i feel the society should do something to accommodate persons with disabilities.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.