Reflection on Leadership

Home Forums Module 2 Forum Reflection on Leadership

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      [email protected]
      Participant

Leaders are considered strong and efficient when they advocate for the “voice of the voiceless”.
      Increasing support for rehabilitation can only happen when they feel the need, the gap, its benefits to the society, thus further education and vigorous awareness of our leaders is paramount.

Most would agree that leadership should be born, and this is the favor of nature that a leader is given by god. Why? A born-with leadership often refers to innate qualities that some individuals naturally possess, which can contribute significantly to their effectiveness as leaders. Here are some benefits of born-with leadership:

Instinctive Decision-Making: Natural leaders often have a strong instinct for making decisions quickly and confidently, which can be crucial in fast-paced or high-stakes situations.

Charismatic Influence: They possess charisma and charm that naturally attracts and motivates others, making it easier to inspire and rally teams around common goals.

Intuitive Empathy: They tend to have an innate ability to empathize with others, understanding their perspectives and emotions, which fosters strong interpersonal relationships.

Visionary Thinking: Born leaders often have a visionary outlook, seeing opportunities and solutions that others may overlook, and inspiring others to work towards a compelling future.

Natural Confidence: They exude confidence and assertiveness, which can instill trust and respect among their peers and followers.

While born-with leadership can offer distinct advantages, it’s important to note that leadership skills can also be developed and honed through education, experience, and deliberate practice. Many effective leaders combine innate qualities with learned skills to achieve their fullest potential.

However, we can be trained to be a good leader. So, leadership, can indeed be trained. Effective leadership skills such as communication, decision-making, and empathy can be developed through education, mentorship, and practice. Training programs offer insights into diverse leadership styles and strategies, fostering adaptability and resilience. Through feedback and real-world experience, individuals can hone their abilities to inspire and guide others. Ultimately, by cultivating self-awareness and learning from both successes and failures, aspiring leaders can continuously evolve and improve their leadership capabilities.

Some ague that if trained, leadership should be trained earlier in a program to be carried out. Teaching leadership early in a program or portfolio is crucial for several reasons. Firstly, it establishes a strong foundation of essential skills like communication, teamwork, and problem-solving from the outset. This early training nurtures confidence and competence in future leaders, ensuring they can effectively manage projects and inspire teams. Moreover, starting early allows ample time for practice and refinement of leadership techniques, preparing individuals to handle increasingly complex responsibilities as they progress in their careers. Ultimately, early leadership education cultivates a proactive mindset and prepares individuals to make meaningful contributions to their organizations and communities.

Using the assessment tool from the course, I would rate my emotional intelligence as below:

1) Self-awareness: I rate myself a 3. I recognize my emotions and understand their impact on my behavior and performance about half the time. To improve, I plan to practice mindfulness or journaling regularly to enhance my self-awareness consistently.
      2) Managing emotions: I also rate myself a 3. I can usually stay focused and think clearly during emotional situations about half the time. To strengthen this skill, I’ll try techniques like deep breathing or taking short breaks to manage my emotions more effectively.
      3) Motivating oneself: I rate myself a 4. I often use my emotions to drive and guide myself towards goals. This indicates a strong ability to maintain motivation and perseverance in the face of obstacles, which is beneficial for achieving long-term objectives.
      4) Empathy: I rate myself a 3. I have the ability to sense and understand the emotions of others about half the time. To develop my empathy further, I’ll actively listen to others without judgment and practice putting myself in their shoes during interactions.
      5) Social skill: I rate myself a 4. I am adept at managing and influencing emotions in relationships and can inspire others. This strength in social skills is crucial for successful teamwork and leadership.

With these results, here are my following plan:
      1) I will reflect on my results to understand my strengths and areas for improvement in emotional intelligence.
      2) I plan to take immediate action by focusing on one or two areas, such as practicing self-reflection techniques for self-awareness or actively seeking to understand others’ perspectives for empathy.
      3) I will regularly reassess my emotional intelligence to track progress and continue growing in these competencies.

By focusing on incremental improvements, I believe I can enhance my overall emotional intelligence and strengthen my effectiveness in personal and professional relationships.

[email protected]
      Participant

A good leader should be in the position to exhibit all the leadership theories to enable them to provid good leadership. A leader who only practice one theory might end up not incorporate all the team members

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.