Discussion Forum 1

Home Forums Module 2 Forum Discussion Forum 1

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      kbalsara
      Keymaster

1. Leadership behavior can be taught vs leaders are born. What do you think? Provide your rationale and an example of a born and made leader.
      2. Post your reflections on your strengths, areas that need attention, and development priorities as identified by the emotional intelligence questionnaire on the discussion board.
      3. Research some vision statements of various organizations. Post at least two such statements on the discussion forum and explain how these may have evolved.
      4. Post your reflections on building strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation of your country on the discussion board.

[email protected]
      Participant

LEADERSHIP BEHAVIOR CAN BE TAUGHT VS LEADERS ARE BORN

1.people are born with the inherent traits and qualities required to become leaders, others believe leaders can develop with training and experience.
      leadership skills can be developed, and anyone who is willing to put in the time and the effort can learn to become a good leader.developed through education, experience, and personal growth. By actively seeking opportunities to lead, learning from mentors, and engaging in self-reflection, individuals can enhance their leadership abilities and become more effective leaders.
      truth is, it seems that some individuals inherit traits that help them succeed as leaders. At the same time, just because someone is born with these characteristics doesn’t mean they will take the necessary steps to become a strong leader.

[email protected]
        Participant

I think leadership is both inherited and taught. Having it only as inheritance or as learned is a problem.

[email protected]
        Participant

some studies reveal that there are great leaders born with qualities that make them succeed in achieving organizational goals , however , others develop skills through training and experience. I concur with the notion that, development pf leadership skills through training and experience is important even if one is not born with specific characteristics.
        I consider the late president of South Africa, Nelson Mandela a born leader who lead with courage, embraced diversity , upheld unity and unlocked the potential in others. Late President , Martin Luther King was also a born leader. The former president of USA, Baraka Obama is an example of a made leader. He was born in a humble family and later developed leadership abilities to lead one of the most powerful continent in the world.
        I realized that there is need to change and work on my emotional intelligence and leadership abilities. The self evaluation is a wake up call for me to reflect and work to improve my on my weakness.
        Vision statement examples: 1) To be the national leader in high value rehabilitation and post acute care and to develop integrated systems of care.
        2) Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
        To gain strong leadership and political support for rehabilitation services in Kenya, we have come up with a rehabilitation and assistive technology strategy 2022-2026 that we hope to influence policy makers to adapt and implement. We hope to share data and research on knowledge translation forums to influence partners and policy makers to support rehabilitation.

[email protected]
      Participant

2.Post your reflection on the strength areas that need attention and development priorities as identified by the emotional questionnaire on the discussion board.

understand and control our emotions, as well as, our ability to understand and deal with the emotions of others around us.
      Missing: attention zhe board
      deals more with skills to be developed than just personality traits, I look at areas of growth for myself when it comes to explaining my own emotional intelligence. I learned that emotional intelligence involves interpersonal skills and the ability to manage the behaviors and emotions of others in the workplace. In order to achieve emotional intelligence at a high level, many factors regarding ones self must be analyzed. Self-Awareness, Self Motivation, and Self Regulation are all key components of emotional intelligence. In order to be self aware, I must be able to understand my own emotions, and my own strengths and weaknesses, as well as my needs. Self-regulation requires that one be able to adapt to changes, and self-discipline. Self-motivation looks at ones ability to achieve, and have passion for what they do.
      are that I am a hard worker, and that I take the time and effort necessary in order to complete a task. I respect the chain of command, and am a follower of rules. This is important when working in a healthcare setting due to all the policies and regulations related to confidentiality in patients, as well as interactions with clinicians to maintain proper care for patients. Other strengths according to my assessment are that I am good at explaining and helping others, and that I have patience and clarity in my explanations. I find this to be essential in managing others in a workplace, because this means that communication is a strong point of mine, which is necessary in field of health care.

earlier, involves self-awareness, which includes understanding me needs, I need to focus much of my attention on improving this matter. Another weakness that is a key component of emotional intelligence is my tendency to avoid trying something new. I tend to be stuck in my ways, and not willing to accept new challenges, which is a weakness that will be reflected in the work I do for an organization that is trying to change their methods, if I am unable to reverse this weakness.

Now that I have identified my weaknesses, I must find ways to improve my emotional intelligence. I believe the first step to improving your emotional intelligence is to self evaluate to pinpoint weaknesses. Since, I have already done so, I need to choose a method of improvement. I believe that a good start would be to evaluate how I react in stressful situations. I feel that when stressful situations arise, it is me who puts myself into a stressful situation, which may be contrary to what I once believed. I once thought that the stress comes to me, however I have now been able to examine myself in team settings, and have realized that I allow myself to be stressed. My stress stems from my two largest weaknesses: my inability to deal with conflict/inability to assert my needs and my resistance to trying new methods. Since these two tendencies trigger my stress, I must recognize when they are prominent, and face them head on.

[email protected]
      Participant

4.Post your reflections on building strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation of your country on the discussion board.
      In order to build strong leadership and political support for rehabilitation following points can discussed further:
      a. Develop leadership skills of political leaders: develop leadership training in the context of rehabilitation and its integration approach in global health programs at National, Provincial and Local level.
      b. Effective collaboration: Building partnerships among different stakeholders across various sectors including government, private and civil society. Leaders building partnerships and facilitating cooperation.
      c. Advocacy and Political Engagement: strategic advocacy to raise awareness about rehabilitation needs and benefits. conduct lobbying, public campaigns, and engaging with political stakeholders to secure commitment and resources.
      d. Community Involvement: empowering local communities including user groups to take an active role in rehabilitation efforts.

[email protected]
      Participant

3. Mission statement by various organizations

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to renewable energy.

The mission statement of LinkedIn is connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful.

[email protected]
      Participant

4.building strong leadership and increasing political surport for rehabilitation in my country zambia.

when leaders are actively involved in the rehabilitation of health care it is easy to get a strong political surport in this area. Leaders are the law makers hence they can collaborate services of rehabilitation. This is what Zambians need to advocate for . Strong involvement of political leaders in the affairs of rehabilitation.

[email protected]
      Participant

1. Leadership can arise from both innate characteristics and acquired skills. While some individuals may possess natural leadership abilities, the notion that leaders are solely born with these qualities is very outdated. Leadership behavior can be cultivated through education, mentorship, and experience. A compelling example of a ‘made’ leader is Barack Obama, who, despite not coming from a traditional political background, developed exceptional leadership skills through education, community organizing, and political engagement. On the other hand, natural leaders like Winston Churchill possessed inherent charisma, strategic thinking, and a strong sense of purpose. Therefore, a comprehensive understanding of leadership recognizes the interplay between innate talents and learned behaviors.

[email protected]
      Participant

2.The Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire has provided valuable insights into my strengths and areas that require attention. I have identified several key areas where I excel and a few that need improvement. These insights have spurred my determination to prioritize development in crucial areas to enhance my overall emotional intelligence. My strengths are self awareness, motivating oneself, Empathy and Social skill. Where as, my managing emotions needs attention. While I am generally good at managing my emotions, there are times when I may struggle to regulate strong emotions, such as anger or frustration. I need to develop strategies to cope with these emotions effectively and prevent them from negatively impacting my behavior or decision-making.

[email protected]
      Participant

3. Google: In 1998, the vision statement was “To organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful” and currently it is, “To organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful, while creating products that are innovative, helpful, and enjoyable to use.”
      After incorporating technological innovation and user experience as integral elements in google, ‘innovative, helpful, and enjoyable’ were added to reflect a shift towards prioritizing user satisfaction.
      Nike: in 1964, it was “To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world.” and currently, it’s “To inspire and innovate for a better world.” Nike’s vision statement has broadened from a focus on athletics to a wider commitment to making a positive impact on society.

[email protected]
      Participant

4. My country, Uganda can build strong leadership and political support for rehabilitation by:
      =>Elevating rehabilitation to a national priority through dedicated budget allocations and policies.
      =>Engaging diverse stakeholders including policymakers that is parliament, disability organizations such as CORSU, and community members in advocacy efforts.
      =>Investing in training and capacity building for healthcare professionals to ensure quality rehabilitation services, this is being done by ReLAB so far.
      =>Promoting data collection and research to demonstrate the impact of rehabilitation on individuals and the economy, Centres such as Makerere university center for health and population research can be of great help.

[email protected]
      Participant

Hi Khushbu, I’m not able to find the emotional intelligence questionnaire – can you please guide me to where it is? Thanks!

[email protected]
        Participant

Nevermind, I realized that I had to complete the entire module to answer all these questions. I have seen it under 2.3 – Effective Leadership. Please ignore.

[email protected]
      Participant

#1 Leadership Behaviours can be taught vs. leaders are born

As I reflect on this, I don’t believe that it’s black and white (i.e. one or the other). I do think that there are some that have natural leadership capabilities and are able to demonstrate them from a young age, while there are others where leadership does not come naturally and they need further training/cultivation.

For example, when I look at my older daughter, she has this innate ability to lead her group of funds and they naturally follow her. She’s not bossy but has a way of taking care of people’s needs and her friends naturally follow her lead and listen to her. This makes me to believe that she does have some innate leadership qualities that she’s able to demonstrate from a very young age. As I reflect on my leadership journey however, leadership was not something I demonstrated at a young age. I was always quiet, shy, happy to follow the majority and mindful of others needs. I never really voiced my opinion, even though I had one. As I grew older, and was trained and sometimes forced to voice my opinion or lead a group, is where I began to develop my leadership skills and have continued to evolve ever since.

[email protected]
      Participant

leaders are both born can also be taught,in leaderships some have natural leadership capabilities and are able to demonstrate them from a young age, while there are others where leadership does not come naturally and they need further training.
      leadership skills can be groomed, anyone wih time and effort can become a good leader, leadership capabilities can be formed via training
      people can improve leardership skills by using chances and taking advices from mentors or practicing self reflection,some people borne with qualities of being a leader might sometime not be good leader due to lack of training exposure and mentoship

Oda Msuha
      Participant

1. I think leaders can be taught not born. Though some people are born with characteristics of a leader like being confident and courageous enough to make decisions on tough situations like what Winston Churchill and George Marshall did and manage to achieve what they achieved that made them to be recognized as born leaders, I think a good leader is someone who invest on daily self improvement through education, reflection and engagement like Nelson Mandela who did not poses any political influence and leadership, he learned and improved to become a better visionary leader.

2.Following my self assessment through emotional intelligence questionnaire I found myself having strength on self awareness and motivating oneself while I need to give attention on social skills areas, managing emotions and learn to be empathetic.

3.Vision of CCBRT is “to provide accessible specialized health care for all Tanzanian in need”. from its establishment which was 1994 in Tanzania the organization has been evolved significantly from its focus on rehabilitation services only to encompass an comprehensive approach to health care delivery, through community engagement and advocacy to promote disability rights, maternal health and health care access
      Also MUHAS vision which states “A University excelling in quality training of health professionals, research and public services with a conducive learning and working environment”. from 1963 when was founded as a medical school focus on training medical professionals to meet country health care needs to 2007 were it become university and broadened its scope to include other health related field and 2027 to present as continue to evolve its vision to integrating research, community engagement and international collaboration into its strategic plan.

Oda Msuha
      Participant

4. Upon building strong leadership and increasing political support for Rehabilitation services education and awareness about the importance and benefits or rehabilitation need to be addressed to the stakeholders and the population.

Engage stakeholders such as community organizations, health care providers and advocacy group to show how how rehabilitation aligns with their goals and values.

Use of data and evidence from successful rehab programs to demonstrate their effectiveness on improving individual quality of life and its cost effectiveness.

Advocacy and representation by empowering individual with disability to become advocates for rehabilitation by sharing their need and experience and encourage their involvement in policy discussion and decision making processed to to develop inclusive policies that prioritize access to rehab service to people with disability.

Public engagement and awareness campaigns about importance of rehabilitation for people with disability through use of social media, community outreach to share some of resilience and empowerment.

Advocate legal protection and right that ensure equal access for rehabilitation services for individual with disability

Tshering Penjor
      Participant

1.Leadership behavior can be taught vs leaders are born: Most of the world leaders are made or taught leaders and seldom are born leaders and inherited leaders. An inherited leader will have an edge over taught or made leaders, but the born leaders must also be subjected to learning and training for leadership to hone their leading role. A combination of both can come as a strong leader. One such example can be cited as Bhutan’s Fourth King, who was abdicated the throne at age 16 when his father the 3rd king passed away. He brought an unprecedented changes and well being to its people through his reign.

2.Post your reflections on your strengths, areas that need attention, and development priorities as identified by the emotional intelligence questionnaire on the discussion board.
      Myself as a leader is a middle of the road management. I do not find any strengths of leadership as of now. I usually tend to be gentle and try not to hurt someone’s sentiments and keep everyone happy which is really wrong. After this training i am optimistic I can be a lot better version of myself and be more of a team management leader.

3. Research some vision statements of various organizations. Post at least two such statements on the discussion forum and explain how these may have evolved.
      WHO vision statement “all peoples attain the highest possible level of health”
      WFP “Hunger should not be an issue in today’s world”

4.Post your reflections on building strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation of your country on the discussion board.
      Advocating and making people and political leaders aware of how important and vital can rehabilitation and assistive technology be, will definitely change the perceptions and ideas on these matters. Or someone from rehabilitation background must stand up to become a political leader and spearhead this action.

[email protected]
      Participant

1. Leadership behavior can be taught vs leaders are born. What do you think? Provide your rationale and an example of a born and made leader.
      Some people influence and lead group at very early age proves born capabilities. But mostly leadership behavior can be taught because leadership is dynamic interplay. Born leaders’ example is Mahatma Gandhi, he was natural influencer. Made leaders’ example is Angela Merkel. She was scientist person later developed her leadership skills and became the first female Chancellor of Germany.
      2. Post your reflections on your strengths, areas that need attention, and development priorities as identified by the emotional intelligence questionnaire on the discussion board. I finished EI questionnaire. My strengths are self-awareness, motivating oneself, empathy and social skill. Areas that need attention is managing emotions.
      A. WHO vision statement is “A world in which all people attain the highest possible level of health.” At first WHO’s primary goal was communicable diseases and public health emergencies. Later on, vision evolved broader including NCD, mental health, strengthening health services etc. Currently WHO vision broadened to holistic and complex approach.
      B. ISPRM vision statement is “To optimize functioning and health-related quality of life and minimize disability in persons with disabilities and medical conditions throughout the world.” At first ISPRM vision was to promote rehab specialty, improve clinical care etc. Later on, more and more comprehensive rehabilitation encouraged. Now ISPRM vision meet global needs it means became broadening.
      4. Post your reflections on building strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation of your country on the discussion board.
      About Mongolia, strong leadership and political support are crucial. Develop strong leadership need education and training, mentorship programs and international networking. If we have more and more strong leaders in rehabilitation field will advance rehab care and services. Political support first thing to do is raising awareness because the country needs to develop rehab. Then develop policies and strengthening collaboration of stakeholders must establish inter-ministerial committee including other key stakeholders.

[email protected]
      Participant

A good leader is born with the inherent personal characteristics which give one an advantage over others but again everyone required some sort of training to make them realize and utilize the hidden potential inside them thus becoming a great leader.

[email protected]
      Participant

Uganda Allied Health Professions council Vision :
      To be the leading Health Regulatory body in protecting Society from harmful unethical professional practices in the East African region.

This vision must have evolved after a set of individuals identified a common problem which was lack of regulation of allied health professionals in Uganda and they setup a number of objectives which would be mate so as to achieve protection of society where the allied health professionals practice.

ISPO’s Vision
      A world where all people have equal opportunity for full participation in society.
      This ISPO vision should have evolved from a shared goal of having all human beings equal and to achieve that ISPO had to make sure they work towards enabling the disabled individuals with the required assistive technology so as to achieve their full potential.

[email protected]
      Participant

For UGANDA the National strategic plan for rehabilitation is in the final stages of approval therefore there is currently good political will towards rehabilitation. The information that was received from the four stages of the strategic plan enable national wide stakeholders engagements these have been been very important in creating awareness for different political leaders who are responsible for national budget allocation. The include the Parliament health committee and officials from the line ministries. in summary formulation of a national strategic plan is the ice braker in building strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation of your country.

[email protected]
      Participant

To me l think leaders are born and after the identification of the traits the person have, those characteristics can be groomed to be better leaders. Though some of the leaders are taught but they should be having some interest of being a leader.

2. Post your reflections on your strengths, areas that need attention, and development priorities as identified by the emotional intelligence questionnaire on the discussion board.
      My strength, has been as a result of interaction with a number of professionals in the different fields that contribute to the emotional intelligence such as psychologist and embracing the motivation of oneself as a strategy of managing the situation. For the area that needs attention which is empathy, it seems l was kind of insensitive about other people. I need to invest time to get to learn people and be able to walk with them in their situation.

A world free from torture, it was generated by a team of four medical professionals who where arrested and imprisoned and during their stay, they underwent torture. After their released, there was no special care for them and they were expected to go through the main stream treatment procedure lika any other person seeking medical care. Torture being sensitive case, need a special attention and they realised that many people go through torture and have no where to go and get rehabilitated. So they started an indigenous NGO called African centre for treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture victims with the vision a world free from torture.
      Strong leadership and political will is a strong dive to push for rehabilitation agenda. Since leaders and politicians are the decision makers. So by involving strong leaders, the rehabilitation agenda can easily be acheived.

[email protected]
      Participant

2. Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire Reflection

Strengths: I scored high on being self-aware, motivating others and empathy. This resonates with who I am as a person. I am an individual who likes to self-reflect on various situations and am usually able to identify and articulate what specifically is making be feel a certain way or making me behave a certain way. I care for the people around me and often want to do what will make them happy. I also reflect on what motivates and drives other people’s behaviours and believe that there is always a reason as to why someone is being ‘difficult.’ Understanding motivating factors is also important as a leader because you are able to better understand what will drive people and create situations/opportunities that align.

Needs Attention: The area I scored lowest on was managing emotions. I always thought I was quite good at this because I am very good at hiding my emotions and not necessarily communicating to others how I am feeling. However, I am learning that keeping things bottled inside is not an effective way to manage emotions and can be manifested physically in my behaviour, tone and conversations with others. While I scored well on the social skills, it was my second lowest score and I do believe that this is still an area that needs my attention. There are certain social situations that still make me anxious and while I can push myself out of my comfort zone, my preference is to always avoid these situations if I am given the chance.

[email protected]
      Participant

How are leaders made?

If you still think that great leaders are not made, but born, then I advise you to look back and think about those who rose above history. You will find that these people share characteristics that not only make them unique, but also help them generate innovative ideas to change the world. Are these people born leaders? No, the different contexts and challenges they face and the opportunities they present allow them to develop the skills and habits that make them inspiring role models.From Nelson Mandela to Kamala Harris to Elon Musk to Steve Jobs to Melinda Gates (the list of inspiring leaders is endless), we can notice a common trait: these people are not looking for leadership. A boss who wants to make a difference. They encountered obstacles along the way and had to work hard to keep creating and innovating with a lot of courage, no matter the circumstances. All these people have made mistakes and disappointments more than once, but they still retain the confidence, commitment and flexibility to change course if necessary.
      How are leaders built in organizations?

The internal and external situations that affect your organization will affect the type of leader you will have. Let’s go back to the original question: Are leaders made or born? If you believe they are born, the idea that leadership is an innate ability reserved for the few will not allow you to discover the most promising talents that can make a difference in your company as leaders.
      Instead, if you think they’re done, you should remember that, with the right organizational culture and the right digital tools for professional growth, you can train and nurture leaders. Leadership so they can successfully handle any internal or external situation, from people to an Unexpected global crisis.

[email protected]
      Participant

#3: Vision Statements

Vision Statement 1: Healthy, educated people – the foundation of prosperous societies (Results for Development)
      The vision for R4D has been fairly constant over the years but I would say the approach and strategy to progress towards this vision has evolved over time. The focus of the organization remains to be in the areas of health, education and nutrition but it now really focuses on supporting local change agents to help address immediate challenges in these areas while also capacitating them to build stronger ecosystems to support and enable health and educated people.

Vision Statement 2: To ensure every person can access and afford the AT they need, enabling a lifetime of potential (ATScale)
      ATScale is a fairly new organization and was established in 2022. Their mission to help achieve this vision is to catalyze action, amplify existing work, and coordinate and mobilize global stakeholders with unified strategies to increase availability of and access to AT. They have also set an ambitious goal to ensure that 500 million more people globally are reached with life-changing AT by 2030.

I believe both. I think some leaders are born, definitely, and with training, learning, life experience, couching, they can hone their skills, for good of for bad. Nelson Mandela is an example of a natural leader.

However, leaders can also be made, again, with learning, training, couching, courses like this, etc. That is why we are here. I consider myself a potential example of a made leader.

Post your reflections on your strengths, areas that need attention, and development priorities as identified by the emotional intelligence questionnaire on the discussion board.

At this point I did not reach scores for strengths. The closer were self-awareness and empathy.
      All the areas of the test scored as needed attention.
      The lower scored areas were managing emotions and social skills. I am working the managing emotions area and will focus more in my social skills.
      I ame becoming more skilled on being aware of my emotions, which I think if the first step towards achieving the management of them, and the rest of the areas. I have being taking therapy and counseling for the past two years and this has helped a lot. Working life is much easier than personal life. Will be paying more attention to myself and to my feelings.

Research some vision statements of various organizations. Post at least two such statements on the discussion forum and explain how these may have evolved.

Save the children: a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation
      This may have evolved according to the political, environmental and societal context. Depending on peace or war times, the origin of the organization (UK) and their spread to other countries.

PAHO: To be the major catalyst for ensuring that all the peoples of the Americas enjoy optimal health and contribute to the well-being of their families and communities.
      This vision changed with the definition of health over time, from a disease concept to an overall physical and metal health for example.

Hoang Thuy Dung
      Participant

in My opinion, the most successful leaders often possess a blend of innate traits and learned skills. The ability to lead effectively can be significantly enhanced through education, training, and real-world experience.
      1. World Health Organization (WHO) in Vietnam’s Vision Statement: “A world in which everyone can live healthy, productive lives, regardless of who they are or where they live.” The WHO’s vision has evolved to reflect a global commitment to achieving universal health coverage and addressing health inequalities.This evolution mirrors the organization’s response to emerging global health challenges and its goal of improving health outcomes for all populations​.
      Vision Statement: “To improve the lives of disadvantaged people through education, health care, and livelihood support programs.”

2. Hearts for Hue (H4H)’s Vision Statement:Hearts for Hue’s vision has likely evolved from focusing solely on immediate healthcare needs to incorporating a more holistic approach that includes education and livelihood support. This broader vision addresses the root causes of health disparities by empowering communities with the tools and resources needed for sustainable development. The evolution of this vision reflects a deeper understanding of the interconnectedness of health, education, and economic stability in improving overall quality of life

[email protected]
      Participant

FROM THE TEST I REALIZED THAT I HAVE STRENGTHS IN SELF AWARENESS (36) AND EMOTION MANAGEMENT (38), HOWEVER I NEED TO PUT ATTENTION IN SELF MOTIVATION (24), EMPATHY (34) AND SOCIAL SKILLS (34). I NEED TO IMPROVE MY SKILLS THESE THREE ARES, I HOPE WITH AT THE END OF THIS TRAINING I MAY GET ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS TO PUT THEM INTO PRACTICE

[email protected]
      Participant

Greenvit health Tanzania: “We envision a society where individuals are in charge of their health and free from NCD burdens” This may have evolved from the idea of empowering individuals with non communicable diseases (NCD)to manage their own conditions (continuous self care) in order to prevent/avoid the disabilities that can be prevented, it has a client centered focus than on medical condition.

Bugando Medical Centre: “BMC envisions a healthy society served by skilled and competent health care providers” this may have evolved fro idea of having well trained and skilled service providers who will serve the community, the health of the society must be cared by skilled and competent individauls

[email protected]
      Participant

My country Tanzania has already established a National Rehabilitation Strategic Plan 2021-2026, which has four major objectives named: 1. Strengthen rehabilitation leadership, planning, and generation of evidence and
      information 2. Increase the availability of rehabilitation services and expand financing 3. Strengthen and expand the rehabilitation workforce 4.Increase the access and provision to assistive products
      As this is the first Tanzania Rehabilitation Strategic Plan developed its implementation may undergo several challenges of which may include human resource and training. Human resource in rehabilitation is extensive and there may be a need of different specialties to full fill the task (some specialty are lacking due to lack of education institutions within the country e.g. physiotherapists, occupational therapists their training is available to bachelor level within the country. Higher level (master) may be needed to improve rehabilitation leadership and political support as this will stimulate researches to be conducted within the rehabilitation field and influence the policy makers on police changes.

Albert Erongu
      Participant

Leadership behavior can be taught vs leaders are born

Good leaders naturally inherit leadership skills and traits that they easily use to take up leadership positions. However, not everybody with these traits tends to go into leadership positions but requires a driving force or motivation to become a leader. I also believe leadership can be learned as It enables one to identify his or her potential.

Albert Erongu
      Participant

From assessment, I have strong skills in Self-awareness and empathy while motivating myself, managing emotions and social skills need attention. I believe I can build on this training in strengthening the areas with gaps.

In your opinion, how can your country build strong leadership and increase political support for rehabilitation? Post your comments on the discussion board.

Mexico can build strong leadership and increase political support for rehabilitation by implementing the Guide for action, but before doing that we need to identify what are the barriers for the implementation of the Guide for action. Mexico is not doing anything about implementing these tools and rehabilitation needs to be better integrated into health systems. The first thing I would do is a RCA to identify what are the root causes for Mexico not implementing the Guide for Action and will try to address the root causes. Once addressed these causes and the problem of not implementing the Guide for action, I would follow the 4 steps: STARS, GRASP, FRAME and ACTOR.

Albert Erongu
      Participant

vision statement
      HealthRight International: “The gap in health outcomes between marginalized populations and the general population is eliminated”. This was established in 1989 by a Visionary HIV/AIDS clinician, Researcher, and Advocate Jonathan Mann, who believed in the then-revolutionary idea that health and human rights are inextricably linked

Oda Msuha
      Participant

To build a strong leadership and obtain political support one should
      Access the situation and decide what leadership style to use in given situation. Thus
      Assessment of role and values of rehabilitation to the population health should be done.
      Strengthening the government planning and leadership capacity for rehabilitation within Ministry of Health proportionally to the scale and scope required.
      Integrating rehabilitation data in Health Management Information Systems to ensure proper and evidence based decision making.
      Increase political commitment to rehabilitation to achieve the investment that is required to expand rehabilitation services.
      To address financial and geographical barriers to access and inefficiencies in service delivery.
      To increase rehabilitation workforce and accessibility of assistive products.

Albert Erongu
      Participant

Post your reflections on building strong leadership and increasing political support for the rehabilitation of your country on the discussion board.
      Mapping of key stakeholders is key in building a strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation across all levels. In Uganda; at the national level the key stakeholders may include; the Ministry of Health, the Parliament of Uganda, the Parliaments Committee on Health, the Ministry of Education and Sport, the Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development, Implementing Partners. a National Technical Working Group can be formed comprising of key representatives from this sectors to champion the integration of rehabilitation services into the health system. The Technical working groups at the regional level can be led by the Regional Referral Hospital Directors while at the district level headed by the Chief Administrative Officers.

[email protected]
      Participant

I think that while some people have inherent traits that predispose them to leadership, ultimately leaders can be taught versus being born. The primary reason for my belief is that the idea that leaders are born implies far too much bias on behalf of the judge. I think that pursuing a leader that is born risks the oversight of so many who may not fit the mold of a “leader.” Just like there are different ways to lead, there are different ways to learn and thus a leader isn’t a “one-size fits all” category.Mahatma Gandhi is an example of a born leader.
      Dr. Anthony Fauci is an example of made leader, influenced by circumstance.

Overall, I scored highly on the Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire (SA 44, ME 38, MO 40, E 44, SS 44). However, my lowest score was in managing emotion, and then motivating oneself. This is no surprise to me, I wrestle with emotions regularly. On the one hand, it makes me a very empathetic clinician. I pride myself on treating every patient as if they were my family, but it can sometimes distract me from task and make me less efficient. I understand that in leadership roles, working with team members I will need to keep my emotions in check.

Mission and Visions are different. According to our coursework, “The mission identifies the “how” and “what” of the organization’s operations, whereas a vision describes the “why” behind what the organization is working toward.”

Life Is Good is a popular t-shirt and merchandise company. Their vision is “to spread the power of optimism.” The company’s website (www.lifeisgood.com) explains that optimism is a practice, a choice that supports emotional well-being and resilience. Their products have evolved from t shirts to hats, coffee mugs, household wares. Their vision has evolved to further their product placement, and it’s message in it’s overarching goal to spread optimism.

Ikea’s (www.ikea.com) vision is “to create a better everyday life for many people.” They achieve this vision through their mission which is to “offer a wide range of well-designed, functional home furnishing products at prices so low that as many people as possible will be able to afford them.”

Professional organizations such as the APTA , the American Physical Therapy Association, are vital in developing leaders within physical therapy with the goal of advocating for rehabilitation support in the United States. While the US seemingly has resources, they are not accessible to all people. Medicare reimbursement decreases make therapy less affordable to patients. Clinicians are pressed to provide lower quality care given the time constraints of decreased reimbursement. Some clinicians are leaning towards fee-for-service where they do not take any insurance at all. It is imperative in the United States to advocate for rehabilitation equity to all populations.

[email protected]
      Participant

Leaders are always born though their leadership skills can be shaped better through constant mentorship. Abetter leader should be born with the innate trait which kick start the characteristics of a good leader.
      Example of a born leader is Nelson Mandela former president of the Republic of South Africa who exhibited his leadership qualities from the young age.

I have strength in all areas of emotional intelligence though there is need for continious improvement to be better leaders.

The vision statement of Refugee Law Project in Uganda states that all people enjoy their human rights, irrespective of their legal status. This vision is supported by relevant international laws as well as the Constitution of Uganda to protect the forced migrants.
      The vision statment of CoRSU Hospital, “People with disability in Uganda are able to access Rehabilitation services that improve their quality of life and that they are fully integrated in society” this vision evolved due to the gap in rehabilitation for persons with disability within the country.

In Uganda, rehabilitation is just taking shape since government had not invested so much, there are rehabilitation professionals offering rehabilitation services though for strong leaderships, there is need to build their capacity to be able to advocate and advance the rehabilitation services. To increase the political support, there is need for continous engagements of the political wing to understand rehabilitation and why there is need to advance the call for rehabilitation.

[email protected]
      Participant

I believe that both innate traits and learned skills play crucial roles in effective leadership. One born without the traits can acquire them through training, coaching, mentorship, and life experiences. An example of a made leader is Nelson Mandela, An Example of a born leader is Queen Elizabeth.

2. Post your reflections on your strengths, areas that need attention, and development priorities as identified by the emotional intelligence questionnaire on the discussion board. Strengths: I have a strong sense of self-awareness, and understanding of my emotions, strengths, weaknesses, and values. This helps me stay grounded and make informed decisions.
      Area needing attention: While I am aware of my emotions, I oftentimes struggle with controlling them, especially under pressure.
      Development Priority: I need to focus on techniques for better managing stress and maintaining composure in high-stakes situations.

1. World Health Organization (WHO)
      Vision Statement:
      Achieve the highest possible level of health for all people.
      Evolution:
      Original Focus: When WHO was founded in 1948, its primary focus was on combating communicable diseases such as smallpox, malaria, and tuberculosis. The vision at that time was centered around eradicating these diseases and improving public health through global cooperation.
      Current Focus: Today, WHO’s vision includes universal health coverage, health equity, and the social determinants of health. The emphasis is on achieving health for all, which recognizes the importance of access to quality healthcare services, preventive measures, and health education.

4. Post your reflections on building strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation of your country on the discussion board. Building strong leadership and increasing political support for rehabilitation services in Nigeria is crucial for improving the lives of individuals with disabilities and chronic health conditions. Building strong leadership by optimizing leadership training programs, creating a clear vision for the future of rehabilitation, empowering community leaders, and encouraging local ownership of rehabilitation through advocacy.

[email protected]
      Participant

Leadership can indeed be taught, and those who exhibit leadership traits early in life, often due to their upbringing or family background, have the potential to become great leaders more quickly when given proper training. This natural predisposition, combined with structured leadership development programs, allows these individuals to harness and refine their innate abilities more efficiently. Consequently, they may find it easier to excel in leadership roles compared to those who acquire leadership skills solely through training.

[email protected]
      Participant

I beleive that some leaders are born depending on the inherent personality traits that characterise their lineage. But that doesn’t exclude the fact that they need to be taught to acquire leadership skills and maturity, instead their leadership potential may be lost or misused. Others are not born but can become depending on the environment in which they are raised in case it’s one which promotes leadership. Then, they can learn it and become leaders. For example, first borns in families tend to look like born leaders. They tend to develop independance and autorithy skills.

As identified by the emotional intelligence questionnaire, i found myself to possess many of the characteristcs of a leader and fall into the team manager leadership style. Nevertheless, some areas of improvements like social skills development need more attention. Also, i tend to be easily demotivated and discouraged when my team members are not copping and evolving as intended.

Lilian fund’s vision : We Want inclusive societies with equal rights and opportunities for children and young people with a disability.
      World Physiotherapy’s vision is to move physiotherapy forward so the profession is recognised globally for its significant role in improving health and wellbeing. Though it has the name changed, the vision statement remained the same. An organization which started woth 11 organizations members to actually more than 120 members have surely evolved in its vision to impact more region in the world.

In my country, leadership and political support have evolved from the past 10 years in the health sector, where the ministry of health invests in developping physiotherapy services accross the country. But there is a need to train stakeholders on the broader concept of rehabilitation to optimize government investment. In fact, political leaders tend to depend on external finanacial and technical support to support and sustain rehab services. Building strong leadership may happen if governmental bodies nominated rehab professionals as focal points to technically support gouvernment efforts to support rehabilitation.

[email protected]
      Participant

To build strong leadership and increase political support for rehabilitation in Tanzania, it is essential to prioritize awareness and advocacy at all levels of government. This can be achieved by integrating rehabilitation into national health policies and development plans, ensuring it is recognized as a crucial component of public health. Additionally, training and empowering local leaders and health professionals to advocate for rehabilitation services can foster grassroots support. Collaborating with NGOs, civil society, and international organizations to share best practices and resources will also strengthen efforts. Highlighting the long-term economic and social benefits of rehabilitation through data-driven evidence can persuade policymakers of its importance, leading to increased funding and comprehensive rehabilitation programs.

[email protected]
      Participant

Leadership behavior can be taught vs leaders are born. What do you think? Provide your rationale and an example of a born and made leader.
      Genetically some people are born with leadership traits that are inherited from the parents right from birth. It is possible that as one grows from child hood to adulthood the individual leadership traits grows. This is later augmented by school where leadership skills are enhanced, mentored and coached to become strong and good leaders.In school,leadership is taught and in most cases some people are influenced

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.