Exercise 3

Home Forums Module 1 Forum Exercise 3

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      kbalsara
      Keymaster

Share in the class discussion board what you have learned from your research. Be prepared to share the one thing would you change based on your findings.

From my research on laws and policies that promotes accessibility, reduce discrimination and stigma, and increase access to healthcare services in Mexico, I believe these need to be revised and updated maybe taking into consideration the biospychosocial model and the different disability models expressing in the country to identify where the barriers are and what strategies can be implemented to improve accessibility (not only of the physical environment as most of the norms try to address) but also other types of discrimination and stignatization.

[email protected]
        Participant

Disability is universal, a development priority and a human rights issue. Over a billion people, about 15% of the world’s population, have some form of disability – 1 in 7 people. (WHO report on disability 2019). Kenya has identified disability agenda as a critical development issue to be mainstreamed into all the sectors. The mainstreaming process is anchored on the international and regional instruments, local policy and institutional frameworks. The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability (CRPD) obligates Kenya as a signatory, to ensure and promote the full realization of the human rights of Persons with disabilities across the broad development sphere. At national level, the Constitution of Kenya 2010, the National Disability Policy 2018 and the Persons with Disability Act, 2003 serve as the anchor of the promotion of the rights of persons with disability in Kenya.
        Despite disability being regarded as a core development and human rights issue, persons with disability are discriminated and considered a burden to the society. To improve the quality of life of Persons with disabilities and to enhance socio-economic development, Kenya cannot afford to leave behind persons with disability in matters of development. The Convention of rights of persons with disability (CRPD) recognizes accessibility as a stand-alone right (article. 9) and that removal of the multiple barriers to access in society is a key requirement for the inclusion of Persons with disabilities. Kenya is strive to create a barrier free and inclusive society

Tshering Penjor
      Participant

The national policy for persons with disability, Bhutan 2019 have cited everything including from the health and education coverage to the transportation and socioeconomic security, protection and access to justice and to the environmental modification. The aforementioned things are in place in one or another way but one things i would like to really change is to enhance environmental modification which quite poor in our settings. SO many physical barriers.

[email protected]
      Participant

In Mongolia, all hospitals should work on disability inclusive at least rehab department should be on ground floor near entry door. All new buildings must be inclusive

[email protected]
      Participant

While Uganda has a progressive legal framework for accessibility, its implementation remains a challenge. Many public buildings and facilities are not yet accessible, and individuals with disabilities continue to face discrimination and stigma. Nonetheless, the Disability Act has had a positive impact in raising awareness about disability rights and promoting inclusion.
      The NCPD has played a vital role in coordinating efforts to implement the Disability Act. It has developed guidelines for accessibility and has engaged in advocacy campaigns to raise awareness about the rights of persons with disabilities.

However, there are still challenges such as;
      *Limited funding for accessibility projects
      * Lack of enforcement of accessibility standards
      * Persistent discrimination and stigma
      * Inefficient health care systems that fail to adequately address the needs of individuals with disabilities

[email protected]
      Participant

Facing discrimination and lack of opportunity, many Zambians with disabilities are systematically excluded from access to services and places, legal aid, healthcare and more. Often, these disparities are sharper in rural settings with a greater lack of infrastructure, investments and institutional support.i would advocate for better infrastructure that would. Accommodate people with disabilities, improve health care services to all with any discrimination as we all humans beings and as such should be treated with love and care

[email protected]
      Participant

From my research, I learned that in Tanzania, rehabilitation services such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy are included in health care coverage as part of the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) initiatives. These services are primarily covered by the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) and the Community Health Fund (CHF).
      One change I would suggest based on my findings is to increase public awareness and education about the availability and benefits of rehabilitation services to ensure more people access and utilize these essential health services

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.